How does Oil Pulling with Coconut Oil Help to Whiten your Teeth?
Oil Pulling has been used for thousands of years as an Indian folk remedy and involves swishing the oil around in your mouth. The Indians probably used oils such as sunflower oil, but I prefer Coconut Oil as it contains Lauric Acid, which is antimicrobial and kill fungi, viruses and bacteria. Coconut Oil also taste ok, some people find it quite pleasant.
The idea behind oil pulling is that the harmful bacteria in your mouth will adhere to and dissolve in the oil. There are thousands of bacteria in your mouth and if it is not removed regularly it will cause cavities, gum disease and bad breath. The bacteria build-up is also responsible for plaque that can make your teeth appear yellow, if not removed.
Does Oil Pulling Bleach Your Teeth?
No it does not. However, the presence of plaque, tatar and other unwanted chemicals from your food will make your teeth appear yellow. Especially tatar often has a very yellow or dark brown color. Studies have shown Oil Pulling to reduce the amount of bacteria including Streptococcus Mutans (which play a large role in plaque buildup and tooth decay). Most people find that their teeth appear whiter and shinier after about 2 weeks of using oil pulling, and that would be because their oral health and hygiene has improved.
Other oral benefits of using Coconut Oil rinse
As the Coconut Oil reduces the bacteria in the mouth, it will also help to reduce gum disease (gingivitis). Gingivitis is inflammation of the gingival (gums) due to bacteria in the plaque that’s not removed thoroughly on a regular basis.
Halitosis or bad breath goes hand in hand with poor oral hygiene, gingivitis and periodontitis. It goes without saying that improved oral hygiene and health will reduce halitosis.
Directions on the use of Coconut Oil
- I recommend you use it in the morning before you brush your teeth. Perhaps while you shower.
- Take a tablespoon of coconut oil and put it in your mouth. You may need to keep it in your mouth for a minute or chew on it to soften it first.
- Swish, “push” and “pull” the oil through your teeth for about 15 minutes.
- Spit it out, rinse with water and then brush and floss your teeth.
Do not expect the whiter than white smile you may see on bleaching adverts, but most people find that they did benefit from using Coconut Oil rinse, not just because their teeth seem whiter but also because of improved oral health.
Other benefit of Coconut oil
There are so many claimed benefits for Coconut oil, I can honestly not tell if they are true, but I will list some of the possible benefits. You can decide what to believe.
Coconut Oil contains lauric acid that converts to monolaurin in the human body. This supposedly helps the body dealing with viruses and bacteria that cause diseases such as influenza, herpes and even HIV. They also claim that it helps fighting harmful bacteria.
- Hair care: It is effective in reducing protein loss and helps healthy hair growth and makes it shiny.
- Skin care: Coconut oil is an effective moisturizer and helps preventing premature aging of the skin. Apparently it also helps for treating skin problems including dermatitis, eczema, psoriasis and other skin infections.
- Stress relief: A gentle massage with Coconut oil is soothing and will help removing stress.
- Weight loss: It contains short and medium-chain fatty acids that help taking off excessive weight; it is easy to digest and helps in healthy functioning of the thyroid and endocrine system.
- Strengthens the immune system: This is because Coconut Oil contains lauric acid, capric acid and caprylic acid with antifungal, antibacterial and antiviral properties.
- Digestive system: It helps to prevent digestion related problems including Irritable Bowel Syndrome and helps in the absorption of vitamins, minerals and amino acids.
- Bones: As the oil helps the body to absorb minerals including calcium and magnesium, it may be beneficial to people prone to osteoporosis.
- Treatment of Candida: Coconut oil has been shown to prevent or even cure Candida and provides relief from the inflammation caused by Candida.
- Kidney: They claim Coconut oil helps to prevent kidney and gall bladder diseases
(and even Liver disease).
- Pancreatitis: It is believed to be useful in treating pancreatitis.
- Diabetes: As Coconut oil possibly helps to control blood sugar and improves the secretion if insulin, it may help preventing or controlling diabetes.